- Breakfast eaters have better control over their weight and better attention in school.
- Keep a variety of foods on hand with a rotating menu so your children don't end up getting bored with breakfast.
- You can include anything from eggs to waffles and even pastries and bread, as long as it's in moderation.
Eating breakfast is a healthy habit. Research tells us that breakfast-eaters have better weight control, focus, and attention in school and tend to avoid overeating. Of course, these results are in older children—but getting the breakfast routine started early helps it become a habit.
One trick to making breakfast stick is to have a variety of food items with a rotating menu on hand. Here are 18 nutritious breakfast ideas for your toddler. But remember to mix it up so your toddler doesn’t get bored with breakfast!
- Poached egg in a bowl with whole grain toast “fingers” for dipping; fruit on the side; milk
- Scrambled eggs with cheese and buttered cinnamon raisin toast squares; milk
- Chopped hard-boiled egg, English muffin half topped with sliced cheese and sliced into “fingers” served with melon slices; milk
- Diced ham, spinach and cheese omelet with canned mandarin oranges (in own juices); milk
Waffles and pancakes
- Waffle strips, maple syrup, turkey sausage, and cut up apple; milk
- Waffle with nut butter spread, topped with banana slices; cut into small 1” squares; milk
- Waffle “fingers” with fruit yogurt for dipping; 100% fruit juice
- Pancakes topped with warmed fruit jam or nut butter; cut up small and served with canned sliced peaches (in own juices); milk
- Banana bread with cream cheese spread, served with 100% fruit juice
- Mini-muffins (any variety) with quartered grapes; milk
Granola, oatmeal, cereal
- Vanilla yogurt parfait: layer vanilla yogurt, crispy rice cereal and chopped berries; 100% fruit juice
- Oatmeal made with milk and topped with fresh fruit and crushed nuts (walnuts or pecans); 100% fruit juice
- Cream of Wheat (farina) made with milk and topped with honey, crushed nuts and berries; milk
- Oaty-O’s cereal, milk and chopped strawberries on top; 100% fruit juice
- Whole wheat toast spread with apple butter and sprinkled with cinnamon; serve with sliced cheese; 100% fruit juice
- French toast triangles served with syrup on the side for dipping and mixed fruit salad (seasonal); milk
- Ham and cheese mini-croissant cut up into small pieces; serve with pear slices; milk
- Tortilla spread with nut butter or hazelnut chocolate butter, warmed up and sliced into thin strips; served with sliced strawberries; milk