- Breakfast eaters have better control over their weight and better attention in school.
- Keep a variety of foods on hand with a rotating menu, so your children don't end up getting bored with breakfast.
- You can include anything from eggs to waffles and even pastries and bread, as long as it's in moderation.
Eating breakfast is a healthy habit. Research tells us that breakfast-eaters have better weight control, focus, and attention in school and tend to avoid overeating. Of course, these results are in older children — but getting the breakfast routine started early helps it become a habit.
One trick for making breakfast stick is to have a variety of food items with a rotating menu on hand. Here are 18 nutritious breakfast ideas for your toddler. But remember to mix it up so your toddler doesn’t get bored with breakfast!
- Poached egg in a bowl with whole grain toast “fingers” for dipping; fruit on the side; milk
- Scrambled eggs with cheese and buttered cinnamon raisin toast squares; milk
- Chopped hard-boiled egg, English muffin half topped with sliced cheese and sliced into “fingers” served with melon slices; milk
- Diced ham, spinach, and cheese omelet with canned mandarin oranges (in own juices); milk
Waffles and pancakes
- Waffle strips, maple syrup, turkey sausage, and cut up apple; milk
- Waffle with nut butter spread, topped with banana slices, and cut into small 1” squares; milk
- Waffle “fingers” with fruit yogurt for dipping; 100 percent fruit juice
- Pancakes topped with warmed fruit jam or nut butter; cut up small and served with canned sliced peaches (in own juices); milk
- Banana bread with cream cheese spread, served with 100 percent fruit juice
- Mini-muffins (any variety) with quartered grapes; milk
Granola, oatmeal, cereal
- Vanilla yogurt parfait: layer vanilla yogurt, crispy rice cereal, and chopped berries; 100 percent fruit juice
- Oatmeal made with milk and topped with fresh fruit and crushed nuts (walnuts or pecans); 100 percent fruit juice
- Cream of Wheat (farina) made with milk and topped with honey, crushed nuts, and berries; milk
- Oaty-O’s cereal and milk with chopped strawberries on top; 100 percent fruit juice
- Whole wheat toast spread with apple butter and sprinkled with cinnamon; serve with sliced cheese; 100 percent fruit juice
- French toast triangles served with syrup on the side for dipping and mixed fruit salad (seasonal); milk
- Ham and cheese mini-croissant cut up into small pieces; serve with pear slices; milk
- Tortilla spread with nut butter or hazelnut chocolate butter, warmed up and sliced into thin strips; serve with sliced strawberries; milk