Search

Medical marijuana, like any other medication, presents a safety risk to children who ingest it accidentally. But medical marijuana poses some unique risks:

  • Access to medical marijuana is relatively new and therefore so are accidental poisonings. Parents, emergency workers, and others may not be aware of the exposure or familiar with the signs and symptoms of overdose in children.
  • Medical marijuana often contains higher concentrations of active chemicals than non-medical or recreational marijuana, which makes accidental ingestion more dangerous to children.
  • Medical marijuana comes in many forms, some of which don’t look like medicine at all, including cookies, brownies, soft drinks, and candy.
  • Medical marijuana is not required to be labeled or packaged in child-safe containers.
  • The controversy and stigma that surround medical marijuana may make people less likely to mention it to medical staff attending a sick child. And accidental poisonings may be under-reported.

Researchers from Colorado published a study in July 2013 JAMA Pediatrics comparing marijuana poisoning in kids before and after medical marijuana became legal in that state. They found no cases of marijuana poisoning in the period before legalization and 14 cases in the period following. All the children recovered without permanent health problems.

Another study published in the June 2014 Annals of Emergency Medicine compares the number of calls to poison control centers about kids accidentally exposed to marijuana. In states without legalized marijuana, the rates did not change from 2005 to 2011. Call rates increased by 30 percent in that same time period in states that had decriminalized marijuana.

If you use medical marijuana (or legal recreational or illicit marijuana, depending on your state), keep it well out of the reach of children. Parents should be aware of the potential risk and learn to recognize the signs and symptoms of accidental marijuana ingestion.

Symptoms of marijuana poisoning in children may include:

  • Excessive sleepiness
  • Dizziness
  • Trouble walking
  • Shallow or slow breathing

If you think your child has swallowed marijuana (whether it’s medical marijuana or not, legal or illegal) call the Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222. The Poison Center has one central number that will reach your local poison control center. Calls are answered by a nurse or pharmacist who specializes in poison information, and all information will be kept private.

Takeaways

  • Medical marijuana should be kept out of the reach of children—as with any other medicine.
  • Symptoms of marijuana poisoning may include sleepiness, dizziness, and shallow breathing.
  • If you suspect accidental ingestion of marijuana, call the Poison Center at     1-800-222-1222.
  • Accidental poisoning rates have increased in states with legalized marijuana.

References

  1. Annals of Emergency Medicine, June 2014. Association of Unintentional Pediatric Exposures With Decriminalization of Marijuana in the United States.
  2. JAMA Pediatric. 2013. Pediatric Marijuana Exposures in a Medical Marijuana State.
  3. HealthDay News. Kids Poisoned by Medical Marijuana, Study Finds.
  4. National Capitol Poison Center. Medical Marijuana: Safe Storage Can Prevent Childhood Poisonings.

Comments

  1. Great Article! I never thought about this-if it looks like a cookie a child would definitely eat it. Very scary! Thanks for putting this warning/info out there!

    Reply
    1. oh my god there is no case of overdosing on pot this give marijuana a bad rep i have studied it and never seen facts to support this zombie lie give us intelligent informed folks a break it has done wonders for epileptic children look up the article about Charlotte,s web and then other articles about medical weed (o;

      Reply

Tell us who you are! We use your name to make your comments, emails, and notifications more personal.

Tell us who you are! We use your name to make your comments, emails, and notifications more personal.