After trick-or-treating is over (or maybe before it begins!), what’s better than settling down with a scary movie and treats? For families with preschoolers and young children, we’ve compiled a list of the top Halloween movies for kids.
1. It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown—You can hardly celebrate a holiday without Charlie Brown. You loved him when you were small, so give your children the opportunity to love him too.
2. Alice in Wonderland—This animated 1951 classic is perfect for little ones to enjoy on Halloween. Alice becomes bored and suddenly finds herself in Wonderland. Can she escape the Queen of Hearts and find her way back home?
3. Monsters, Inc.—This Pixar classic is great fun for the whole family. The power for Monstropolis is generated by scaring children, but loveable monsters Mike and Sully end up having to save one of those children when she accidentally ends up in their world. Although this is G-rated, some of the scenes may be intense for younger children.
4. Trick or Treat—This fun Disney movie features Donald Duck who is pranked by his three nephews and Witch Hazel after he plays a cruel trick of his own on them. Will Donald learn his lesson about tricks and treats?
5. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit—Wallace and his trusty dog Gromit try to solve the mystery of the sabotaged village garden and save the annual Giant Vegetable Competition. A comedy adventure for the whole family.
6. Pooh’s Heffalump Halloween Movie—Who doesn’t love Winnie-the-Pooh? Lumpy and Roo experience Halloween together and learn about friendship, bravery, and working together.
Reviewed by Dr. Kristie Rivers, September 2020
- Many animated movies are rated PG and should be avoided for younger children.
- Choose G-rated movies for family fun without the nightmares.
- Make it a tradition to watch fun movies to celebrate Halloween together.