This is incredibly sad. I just spoke with a friend who has a three year old with a peanut allergy and is terrified to send him to school because of it. I know that the two preschools my girls have attended are peanut free and I am willing to bet many more are the same. I just saw allergy bracelets and Whole Foods yesterday that kids can wear so others know they have an allergy and to be more cautious.
I too saw this story when it first went viral and it breaks my heart. As a parent of a peanut allergic child, I’d like to have the confidence that if peanuts were accidentally eaten that correct use of the epinephrine injectors and accessing 911 would be enough. My heart goes out to this lovely family. Many schools are now becoming nut free which helps a bit. It’s also crucial to have an action plan in place for any accidental reactions. The medical literature indicates that oral immunotherapy (allergy “shots”) for some common food allergies are on the horizon for those most severely affected.
This Food Allergy Field Guide is a must for parents with children with food allergies!