Beyonce’s second pregnancy: twins it is! What does that mean for her?
So it’s official: Instagram has its most liked picture to date, and Twitter reported half a million tweets went out in forty-five minutes. That’s roughly 17,000 tweets a minute. You ask why? Well, of course it’s Bey. Also known as Beyonce Giselle Knowles Carter. She’s pregnant again — and this time it’s twins! Fascinating news for sure, but what comes along with this high-profile, high-risk pregnancy?
What we do know about twin pregnancies is that they are on the rise. Since 1980, they have increased 75 percent and now comprise 1 in every 3,000 live births. As technology has improved and infertility treatments have increased, that has also increased the number of multi-fetal pregnancies.
This pregnancy is bound to have many followers and media coverage — so what interesting things can we anticipate for the arrival of the Carter twins?
Here are five things we may anticipate in a twin pregnancy:
- Morning sickness may be worse with twin pregnancies — Bey may not be able to make as many appearances in her first trimester as the levels of human chorionic gonadotropin are higher in twin pregnancies and may cause a higher chance of nausea and vomiting.
- Her obstetrician will see much more of her now than in her first pregnancy — Because twin pregnancies are considered high-risk, there is more monitoring than in single pregnancies. This may mean more ultrasounds and additional testing and lab work as complications will potentially increase for twins.
- She may have started new trends in maternity fashion as mothers with twins may gain more weight than with one baby — If you can imagine how much more space is occupied in the abdomen, there are now two of everything: two babies, sometimes two placentas, and definitely more amniotic fluid. There is also more weight gain that is expected with twin pregnancies. The average weight gain for twins is 30-35 pounds.
- Twins have been known to interact with each other in the womb — With all the musical genius in their family, Beyonce and Jay-Z may end up with some interesting additions to their musical family. A small study showed that twins start reaching for each other as early as 14 weeks. It also showed that twins make distinct gestures toward each other. Mothers can sing to their babies, who can sense audio vibrations and rhythms. There may be a melody in the delivery room of these twins as they are welcomed into the world.
- Labor is usually earlier with twin pregnancies. We would love to chronicle this pregnancy for an entire 40 weeks, but most moms carrying twins go into labor at 34 to 36 weeks, unlike 40 in a singleton pregnancy. Twins are at higher risk of respiratory issues when they are born too early and with low birth weight. Therefore, they may need to stay in the hospital for a longer time after birth.
Even with all the flashing lights of this celebrity pregnancy, this is a private time for the family, and we wish them happiness and health during this time. One can’t help think though of what fabulous names they will come up with.
(Photo Courtesy: Beyonce Carter/Instagram)