In October 2014, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) released its updated early literacy toolkit, "Books Build Connections," to enhance early education in young families. In it, the AAP is promoting the "5 Rs" of early education, which emphasize the crucial role of reading out loud, singing, and talking with young children starting as early as infancy.
The “5 Rs” include:
- Reading together as a family.
- Rhyming, playing, talking, singing, and cuddling many times during the day.
- Establishing routines for meals, play, and sleep in order to encourage predictability and teach expectations.
- Rewarding successes and positive behavior, particularly through lots of praise.
- Building nurturing, meaningful relationships, the basis for healthy child development.
Following these “5 Rs” can help to strengthen parent-child bonding, build vocabulary, and promote literacy development in young children.