Search
QOD: What should I do if my child swallows a button battery?

A button battery is one of those flat round batteries that are found in remote controls, key fobs, children's toys and singing greeting cards. They come in many sizes and resemble a coin. They are dangerous when swallowed because they can become lodged in a child's esophagus and cause erosion and damage within hours.

If you suspect your child has ingested a button battery they need to have an x-ray immediately. The x-ray will determine where in the body the battery is located. From there, a doctor can determine what needs to be done.

Button batteries found in the esophagus need to be removed as soon as possible by a physician. Do not make your child vomit if you suspect they have ingested a battery. Similarly, do not give the child anything to eat or drink if you believe they may have swallowed a battery. For more help, call your local Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. Be sure to properly babyproof your home.

Comments

Tell us who you are! We use your name to make your comments, emails, and notifications more personal.

Tell us who you are! We use your name to make your comments, emails, and notifications more personal.