No firework is a safe firework when it comes to kids. Fireworks are best observed from a considerable distance and lit by professionals.
Never let children handle or ignite fireworks. Even the old sparklers that we enjoyed as children are dangerous. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, “sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees: hot enough to melt some metals.” Instead, choose glow in the dark bracelets, necklaces, and glow sticks, all of which are readily available at novelty stores. If your family chooses to set off fireworks, first learn the rules according to the state in which you live. Then keep all children a safe distance from the fireworks and have a water source handy for any mishap.
Reviewed by Dr. Sara Connolly, March 2020