In addition to insect repellents, there are other things you can do as a parent to keep your child safe.
- Dress your child in lightweight long sleeved shirts, long pants, socks, and closed toe shoes when your child will be in an area that has a high population of insects.
- Avoid pools of standing water, garbage cans, and flowerbeds where insects tend to populate.
- Avoid hairspray and perfumed products, which can attract bugs. Instead, use unscented soaps and lotions when your child will be outdoors.
- Check your child from head to toe at the end of the day after playing outdoors in an area where there is a high population of ticks.
- Use netting over strollers if your infant is in an area with a lot of mosquitos.