The amount of weight you should gain varies by what your starting weight is and how many babies you are carrying.
The following guidelines are from the Institute of Medicine. If you have concerns about your weight gain or how to stay within these goals, ask your doctor or midwife. They can provide some general counseling and may recommend a referral to a nutritionist or dietician.
If you’ve got just one baby on board:
- Underweight (BMI <19): 28-40 lbs
- Normal weight (BMI 19-24): 25-35 lbs
- Overweight (BMI 25-30): 15-25 lbs
- Obese (BMI >30): 10-20 lbs
If you are carrying twins:
- Underweight: No official recommendations actually exist for this group. Ask your doctor.
- Normal weight: 37-54 lbs
- Overweight: 31-50 lbs
- Obese: 25-42 lbs